Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blood Wounds

Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer caught me totally by surprise.  Truly.  I really thought I saw where this book was going early on, but no, no, no.  I could never have anticipated where this story would take me.  Let me explain.

As the story begins we meet Willa.  Willa lives with her mother, step-father, and two step-sisters.  Willa knows how lucky she is that she and her mother have found Jack and his daughters because their life is quite comfortable with them.  However, as it turns out, Willa isn't as happy as she thinks she ought to be.  Willa is a cutter.  So, from that bit of information, I thought I knew this book would be about her descent into depression, therapy, and rehabilitation.  But, I couldn't have been more wrong.

The comfortable existence is rocked to the core when a call from Willa's mothers oldest friend brings some shocking news.  It seems that the father Willa never knew who remained in Texas after Willa and her mother left years ago has committed an unbelievable crime.  He has brutally murdered his current wife and two of their three daughters.  Ummm, can you say unexpected?  I thought my mind would be blown off at this point!

As the rest of the story unfolds, Willa must decide how she will deal with the unbelievable truth about the family she never really knew she had.  Willa has to confront her own fears and acknowledge the imperfections she has been trying to overcome.

This is a page turner!  I couldn't sleep while reading it;  I simply couldn't stop thinking about the book.  Clear a day from your schedule and snuggle up with this book.  Lock the door though;  it's creepy!

Susan Beth Pfeffer also wrote the Last Survivors series.  Check out my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment