Sunday, January 1, 2012

Enthusiasm

Happy New Year!  I'd like to start the new year in the blogosphere off by sharing a book entitled Enthusiasm.  A great friend encouraged me to pick up this book.  And, I am so glad she did.

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman was such an obvious choice for me because one of the main characters, Ashleigh, has a Jane Austen obsession.  I can totally identify!  But, unlike Ashleigh, I have not begun to speak, dress, and pattern my life after Austen's great characters.  You see, Ashleigh, she loves a phase.  She loves to throw her whole being into her current phase.  This week it might be King Arthur; next week it might be ballet, but whatever it is will capture her whole soul.  That's what makes her both amazing and difficult to befriend.  But, Julie, the narrator, stands dutifully by her best friend, the "Enthusiast."

I love to think of Jane Austen like this!
Ashleigh's current Jane Austen phase was a bit unexpected.  Ashleigh is convinced that she and Julie will meet their own Mr. Darcy if only they could attend the annual cotillion at the all boys private school.  Without invitations, though, this will be tough.  Ashleigh does manage to gain them entrance into the dance beginning a whirlwind of adventures with their new found potential Darcys. 

I love this book.  The Pride and Prejudice tie in was awesome.  I've got to tell you, I've read several Pride and Prejudice spin-offs, and for me, it never gets old.  If you too love Austen any way it might come, give this one a try.  Plus, the world needs more Enthusiasts.  Maybe that could be a goal in the new year.  Whatever you do, do it to the fullest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment